| Home: Celebrity: C: Chuck Yeager|
Biography of Chuck Yeager
Charles Elwood "Chuck" Yeager (born February 13, 1923) is a retired major general in the United States Air Force and noted test pilot. He was the first pilot to travel faster than sound (1947). Originally retiring as a brigadier general, Yeager was promoted to major general on the Air Force's retired list 20 years later for his military achievements.
His career began in World War II as a private in the United States Army Air Forces. After serving as an aircraft mechanic, in September 1942 he entered enlisted pilot training and upon graduation was promoted to the rank of flight officer (the World War II USAAF equivalent to warrant officer) and became a North American P-51 Mustang fighter pilot. After the war he became a test pilot of many kinds of aircraft and rocket planes. Yeager was the first man to break the sound barrier on October 14, 1947, flying the experimental Bell X-1 at Mach 1 at an altitude of 45,000 ft (13,700 m). Although Scott Crossfield was the first man to fly faster than Mach 2 in 1953, Yeager shortly thereafter set a new record of Mach 2.44. He later commanded fighter squadrons and wings in Germany and in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, and in recognition of the outstanding performance ratings of those units he then was promoted to brigadier general. Yeager's flying career spans more than 60 years and has taken him to every corner of the globe, including the Soviet Union during the height of the Cold War.
Related Websites of Chuck Yeager
Born Today [October 6]|
- Maki Horikita, Japanese model and actress
- Ioan Gruffudd, Welsh actor
- Amy Jo Johnson, American actress and singer
- Jacqueline Obradors, American actress
- Elisabeth Shue, American film actress
- Vinod Khanna, Indian actor
- Britt Ekland, Swedish actress
- Serge Nubret, French bodybuilder
- Joe Frazier, American baseball player
- Carole Lombard, American actress (d. 1942)
- Mia-Sophie Wellenbrink, German actress and singer
- Rhyon Nicole Brown, American actress
- Kayky Brito, Brazilian actor.
- Tereza KerndlovĂˇ, Czech singer
- Mohammad Shukri, Malaysian cricketer