Famous birthdays, deaths and events of 1747
- January 15 - John Aikin, English doctor and writer (d. 1822)
- February 3 - Samuel Osgood, American patriot (d. 1813)
- January 16 - Barthold Heinrich Brockes, German poet (b. 1680)
- March 16 - Christian Augustus of Anhalt-Zerbst, father of Catherine II of Russia (b. 1690)
- April 2 - Johann Jacob Dillenius, German botanist (b. 1684)
- April 7 - Leopold I, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau
- April 9 - Simon Fraser, 11th Lord Lovat
- May 28 - Luc de Clapiers, marquis de Vauvenargues
- June 19 - Alessandro Marcello, Italian composer (b. 1669)
- July 9 - Giovanni Bononcini, Italian composer (b. 1670)
- August 8 - Madeleine de Verchères, New France heroine (b. 1678)
- November 17 - Alain-René Lesage, French writer (b. 1668)
- December 11 - Edmund Curll, English bookseller (b. ca. 1675)
- January 31 - The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.
- May 14 - A British fleet under Admiral George Anson defeats the French at first battle of Cape Finisterre.
- October 25 - British fleet under Admiral Sir Edward Hawke defeats the French at the second battle of Cape Finisterre.